FAQs on Foreign Research Relationships

What do I need to disclose as a potential financial conflict of interest?

YES, you must disclose

  • If a foreign university, company, or government:
    • pays me to participate in research via a grant, gifts, or any other financial support for research
    • pays me directly to participate on a research project as a consultant
    • reimburses my travel costs (over $5,000 in a 12 month period)
    • pays me an honorarium to participate in a conference or deliver a lecture (over $5,000 in a 12 month period)


  • An unpaid research collaboration with a foreign university, foreign company, or foreign research laboratory
    • NO if – your affiliation is solely with SU in all research products and all intellectual property that you produce is assigned to SU

NO, you do not need to disclose

  • Syracuse University will receive and handle an award or subaward from a foreign university or company